Golf Superintendent – Job Description
Responsible for operation of the golf course maintenance. The responsibilities include: turf grass/plant material maintenance programs, asset management, personnel management, budget/forecasting, financial management, scheduling/maintenance of irrigation systems, pesticide applications, related recordings, and compliance of regulatory issues. The Granite Springs Golf Club Superintendent works to create an environment where staff is involved and enthusiastic, with open communications and respect for themselves, members, guests and the property.
- Responsible for all phases of Golf Maintenance and Agronomic operations, cost control, and personnel.
- Works closely with, advises, and coordinates with the Golf Manager on any issues related to golf course maintenance.
- Directs and participates in the construction and maintenance of the grounds.
- Designs landscape plans for facility grounds and implements the plan.
- Administers and enforces all Club rules, regulations and policies for staff.
- Works closely with the GM to operate the Club in a fiscally responsible and professional manner.
- Must be able to work independently and be a self-starting problem solver.
- Oversees the care and maintenance of the turf, ornamental plants, shrubs, trees and wetlands on the facility grounds.
- Directs and assists the staff on the planting of new vegetation, the replacement, spraying, pruning and trimming of trees and shrubs, the preparation of soil plant beds for aesthetically pleasing arrangements and tending to high stress areas.
- Provides detailed annual plan for the designated landscaping areas. Includes rotational design to provide facility with fresh, eye-catching, interesting and pleasant atmosphere.
- Manages an aggressive water usage tracking plan and irrigation systems and provides monthly reporting on retaining ponds, wells and other water source usage.
- Recruits, supervises and retains maintenance staff. Conducts employee performance evaluations and exercises disciplinary action.
- Provides technical, operational and safety training for employees to ensure that staff is working within OSHA, club safety, Provincial and federal guidelines for safe working conditions.
- Oversees subordinates in proper and safe operation and maintenance of mechanical and power equipment. Plans and budgets for additional or replacement capital equipment.
- Supervises and participates in the application and recording of chemical applications (fertilizers and pesticides) on the Club's grounds in compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations.
- Supervises and controls all maintenance expenses associated with GSGC Operations, including payroll, supplies, chemicals and fertilizers.
- Develops annual operating budget and plans for maintenance and capital improvement projects.
- Maintains records and completes required reporting. Order parts, supplies and equipment as needed.
- Schedules maintenance practices around member play and outings to maximize efficiency and minimize disruption to members.
- Coordinates snow removal and winter maintenance activities when necessary.
Knowledge & Skills Required
- Knowledge of management and maintenance of greens, fairways and roughs.
- Knowledge of use and operating standards of equipment and tools used in golf course construction and maintenance work.
- Skill in recruiting, supervising, training, monitoring, evaluating and motivating personnel.
- Interpersonal skill to resolve conflict and work with supervisors, officials, employees, members and the general public.
- Knowledge of safe use, mixing and application of chemicals and commercial products.
- Knowledge of the game of golf, golf rules and methods of play.
- Ability to anticipate personnel, equipment, and material requirements related to golf course maintenance and repair assignments.
- Ability and knowledge to lay out irrigation patterns, drainage patterns, construct tees and/or greens.
- 3-5 years’ experience as a Golf Superintendent or 1st Assistant
- 2-year Degree or Certificate in Turf Management (or related field, like agronomy, horticulture, plant science, soil science).
- Advance computer skills required for financial reporting and control of operations, including use of Microsoft Office.
- Valid Driver's License.
- Nova Scotia Pesticide Application License.
- Prefer Certification by the Atlantic Golf Superintendent Association.
To apply please email Andrew McGrath, General Manager at email@example.com and include a copy of your resume and a cover letter. If you are a successful candidate, you will be contacted for an interview.
Projected start date: As soon as possible.
- Granite Springs Golf Club