Golf Course Superintendent Position
The Canadian Golf and Country Club is about to start its 49th year in business, we are a busy semi-private 27- hole golf course combined with strong online golf merchandise business. We are located half an hour West of downtown Ottawa. The surrounding area of Kanata, Stittsville, Richmond, Carleton Place and Almonte are some of the fastest growing communities in Canada. The Canadian is a popular choice by Ottawa area golfers of al skill level. We have a Par 72 championship 18-hole West course with 4 sets of tee blocks, tree lined holes and multiple water hazards. Our full length 9-hole par 35 East course is maintained to the same standards to 18-hole course and is a great test of golf with many tricky greens and beautiful water features. We are home to one of the best driving ranges in the province and have over an acre of grass tee deck, our driving range is completely irrigated and provides various target greens. There is a large practice bunker next to the range tee deck, and our practice area has a large putting and chipping green publicly accessible. We are fortunate to have a par 3 practice hole prior to first tee on the 18-hole west course, this provides the flexibility to easily close a hole on the course at any time without upsetting golfers. We are known for quality course conditions and while not the longest course in town we are tight and provide a good test of accuracy. We always want our course to be fair and friendly so are always adding new tee decks whether that be to lengthen a hole or make a new forward tee deck and widening holes where required.
We are proud of our humble beginnings and as such our mandate for the last 49 years has been “To be always improving” The current second-generation owner has a turf background and understands the importance of what it takes to have a well-maintained golf course. The golf course maintenance department is at the heart of our plans! Over the last three years, we drilled and permitted additional water well to ensure adequate water supply for irrigation purposes, even during the driest conditions. Since August of 2022 we have installed new Toro Infinity 45/55 sprinkler heads with LSM in each head, which provides for individual head control anywhere on the golf course to the 750 plus heads we have on property. During this upgrade new communication wire has been pulled to each head which enables handheld control. This project is about 85% complete and should be done by the end of May 2024.
The Canadian is a fun, friendly place, with great customer service. We are looking for an enthusiastic person who will be one of 4 key department heads to lead the Canadian growth for the next half century. You would be a peer with the other department heads and actively involved in key decision making! We are looking for someone who brings knowledge and experience to help with the continuing growth of our business. You are not working for a board of directors, but a family business that has been leader in the Canadian Golf Industry.
We are looking for the right individual to join our dynamic staff and be a key player in the continued advancement of the Canadian. The successful candidate will be someone who has a “can do” outlook on life, an individual who passionate towards preparing and maintaining their golf course, a person who takes “ownership” of their golf course! This person should be blessed to have an abundance of common sense, well organized, passionate about the game and takes pride in providing a manicured golf course. A successful candidate is good at multitasking, a person who can train & educate, who knows how to mentor staff, and who loves the hands-on nature of golf course maintenance. We are looking for someone who wants to be in on the ground floor of taking the Canadian to the next level!
- A diploma or degree in Turf Grass Management.
- Minimum 3 years and preferred five (5) years experience in Golf Course Management.
- Valid Ontario Pesticide License (or another province equivalent).
- IPM accreditation
- Posses’ excellent communication skills
- A strong team leader, mentor
- Financial management experience of turf maintenance department.
- A sound working knowledge of computers Office products and online systems.
- Experienced in ongoing hiring, training & motivating staff, and auditing staff performance.
- Management of grounds maintenance personnel; the ability to secure, train, schedule, supervise and communicate effectively with employees.
- Responsible for hiring, training, supervising, and mentoring of all golf course maintenance staff.
- Instruct equipment operators in the safe operation and care of all equipment.
Golf Course Responsibilities:
- Responsible for all aspects of grounds maintenance operations.
- Management of all playing areas which include greens, tees, fairways, roughs, sand traps, cart paths and surrounding areas of the property.
- Supervises daily course set-up which includes hole locations, tee marker placements, mowing operations, bunker maintenance, course fertilization, pesticide applications and irrigation operations.
- Understands the importance of maintaining strong cultural practices, such as top-dressing aeration, spiking, verti-cutting.
- Financial management of the turf maintenance budget.
- The Canadian has an about average budget for its golf course.
- Accurate record keeping on inventory, weather data, maintenance procedures, cost accounting and material applications.
- Accurate reporting to regulatory agencies as required under provincial and federal law of water taking and application of fertilizers and pesticides.
- Accurate reporting of staff hours.
- Course Equipment & Inventory
- Responsible for all the maintenance and repair of golf course equipment providing direction to the course mechanic.
- Responsible for maintaining required levels of equipment parts, fertilizer, pesticides, and other items as required for the smooth daily operation of the golf course.
The Canadian Golf & Country Club will be offering the successful candidate a highly competitive renumeration package. If you are the right person, you will know what you are worth, and we intend to compensate you accordingly.
- Year- round salaried position.
- Health benefits package
- Vehicle allowance / company vehicle
- Food, clothing & cell phone allowance.
- Education & conference allowance.
- Staff golf club package.
Application Closing Date: Dec 1st, 2023
Please forward resumes and cover letter to:
Canadian Golf & Country Club
7800 Golf Club Way
Ashton Ontario K0A 1B0
- Canadian Golf & Country Club