General Manager - Resort Operations
Cobble Beach is an extraordinary, four season, waterfront community, which spans 574 acres with a mile and a quarter of frontage on Georgian Bay. This expansive property includes an award winning 18 hole Doug Carrick links style golf course, 2 US Open style tennis courts, outdoor plunge pool, Sweetwater restaurant, casual seasonal dining on the Creekside Terrace, special event pavilion, spa, gym, 14 km of walking trails (excluding golf cart paths), beach club, 10 room Nantucket style boutique inn, 5 cottages; each cottage sleeps up to 8, and a growing residential community. Cobble Beach instils a sense of wonder and gratitude for the natural beauty of this land and the majestic waters of Georgian Bay by consistently providing an elegant relaxed and singular experience to all who live in, work at and experience this special place.
Cobble Beach is known for its excellent food and wine, and is a highly regarded destination in southern Ontario. The Sweetwater Restaurant and Bar features classical cuisine with a modern flair using organic, local and seasonal ingredients. During the high season, Cobble Beach serves breakfast, lunch and dinner seven days a week. During the value seasons, restaurant operating days are reduced to Thursday through Sundays, The Clubhouse is typically closed for between 2 to 4 weeks for maintenance usually in January just after New Years. Seasonal special events are offered year round when the resort is open and with the pandemic, take out meals are also offered.
Cobble Beach has developed a comprehensive Strategic Plan, which it is executing to achieve a number of desired outcomes.
The General Manager of Resort Operations (“GMRO”) is a senior manager of Cobble Beach and reports to the COO of Cobble Beach and is part of the resort’s Senior Leadership Team. This individual is responsible for all aspects of the resort’s member and guest facing operations including; golf (excluding turf maintenance), lodging, sales, marketing, food and beverage, events and the spa. The General Manager of Resort Operations plays a key role in establishing, communicating and executing the organizations short and long term strategic direction. On a day to day basis the GMRO will ensure that the operation achieves its financial, experiential and cultural goals.
DUTIES - General:
Working with the COO and Senior Leadership Team, you will be tasked with the general oversight and execution of the resort’s membership growth, engagement and retention strategies, to meet the resort’s membership development and attrition goals. You will liaise with the management team through regular meetings to review the work ahead and continually brainstorm with all staff to improve programming offered to our Members and Guests always keeping in mind that Cobble Beach is a commercial enterprise and not a member owned club. In conjunction with the COO and SLT, the development of special member engagement events on a cost effective basis is important. Ensure a safe, healthy and inclusive workplace for the employees, Cobble members and guests. Keep the CEO informed at all times.
The GMRO is required to keep a high profile with both the employees and Members/Guests. In this highly service orientated role, this individual is expected to maintain a professional image in and around the Resort at all times. Large portions of the responsibilities are in the areas of member and public relations and ensuring a warm and welcoming experience and providing comfort and convenience to the Membership and Guests. Must be available to deal with Member inquiries, issues or concerns.
• Responsible for creating and executing the resort’s annual operating plans.
• Create and execute the sales and marketing plans for golf, lodging, food and beverage, events and the spa. Hit the top line numbers.
• Create the departmental annual capital plans and complete the approved projects on time and on budget for departments overseen
• Create the departmental annual operating budgets and clearly communicate them to all key stakeholders.
• Create and update the relevant, rolling, long term capital plans for departments overseen
• Recruit, hire and train the best staff in the region.
• Maximize revenues through sales, yield management and a culture of upselling
• The GMRO is responsible for the development and effective implementation of all service/operating standards, policies and the associated training that will lead to the realization of each department’s short and long-term member and guest service goals.
• Manage, through effective, proactive communication, the resort’s member and guest expectations and then exceed them on a constant basis.
• Ensure that the right people, are in the right jobs and that they have the training and resources in place to exceed member and guest expectations and to execute each department’s strategic and tactical initiatives.
• Measure the operation’s key performance indicators and act quickly on any issues.
• Effectively manage variable costs, day to day and season to season.
• Grow the top line, constantly. The GMRO will implement and monitor the processes to attract new members, guests and revenue creating events.
• Ensure that the organization’s cash and financial management policies and procedures are adhered to at all times.
• A primary task is to ensure that your direct reports have created annual goals and objectives that align with those established for the GMRO and with the operation’s overall goals.
• Performance reviews for all staff will occur twice in each fiscal year.
• The GMRO will establish and maintain an impactful staff recognition program.
• An annual staff engagement survey will be created and distributed at the end of each summer. The feedback obtained will be acted upon diligently.
• Responsible for creating a positive culture of accountability.
• The GMRO will provide energized, action oriented and engaged leadership for all staff.
• Ensure that Resort Operations are compliant with every aspect of Health and Safety legislation and participate in Cobble Beach’s Joint Health and Safety Committee.
• Ensure that the organization’s personnel policies are followed and the operation is compliant with all laws and regulations.
• The GMRO will foster a culture of team work by example and through communication and accountability.
The General Manager of Resort Operations sits on the Cobble Beach Golf Resort’s Senior Leadership Team and will participate as a full member of that group.
Job Specifications and Qualifications Required:
• Hospitality background with a Communications and/or marketing background preferred. Social media knowledge as a secondary skill would be highly beneficial.
• Excellently demonstrated administrative and computer skills, especially Microsoft Office Suite and CRM systems.
• Must have well-developed organizational leadership and strong interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work within a senior management team environment with limited supervision, but with the understanding that collaboration is the only way to be successful.
• Must have initiative, be creative and detailed-oriented, able to manage change/transitions with the ability to prioritize and multi-task, while setting and meeting deadlines and targets.
• A skilled spokesperson and advocate with the ability to serve as a significant "face" of Cobble Beach.
• Must have a professional appearance, along with a pleasant, positive and responsive manner, displaying a gracious attitude but with an air of gravitas. You will have the ability to interact with diverse groups as well as the ability to build strong relationships with the Cobble Beach and local business community.
• Will be required to maintain a flexible work schedule which will include evenings and some weekends and/or statutory holidays. Primary focus will be April through October but winter is also important.
All candidates must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Cobble Beach will not assist candidates in obtaining Canadian work authorization.
Cobble Beach is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce
A job offer to the top candidate(s) will be conditional upon a successful enhanced security screening check, the cost of which is borne by Cobble Beach. A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. Screening check records will be maintained by Cobble Beach and kept strictly confidential.
The start date for this position is December 1, 2021.
To submit your credentials for this role please email your résumé with cover letter only as follows:
- Cobble Beach Golf Links